08 January 2010

Biscuits and Gravy


Last night I was chatting with my mom while on my way home from work and she challenged me to make a paleo (+ dairy) version of biscuits and gravy. I had some ideas rolling around in my head and couldn't wait to give them a try. As soon as Aubrey took her first nap today, I gave it a go. They turned out much better than I was expecting and I would say they are even better than the "real" thing!

So Mom, this one's for you!

Gravy
2 egg yolks
1/2 c cream
1 c steamed cauliflower
1/2 tsp salt
generous amount of fresh ground pepper (tsp? maybe...I just added enough for my liking)
1/2 lb sausage, cooked

1. Whisk yolks and cream together in a small sauce pan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture can coat the back of a spoon fairly thickly.
2. Pour into blender and add cauliflower and salt. Blend on high until thoroughly combine.
3. Return gravy to saucepan and add sausage.
4. Season with pepper to taste (typical country gravy has a decent amount of gravy).
5. Cook over medium heat until hot.
6. Serve over biscuits.
**I use 1/2 lb sausage and this makes quite a "meaty" gravy. I prefer it that way, plus it ups the protein content a little.

Biscuits (adapted from Elana's recipe in her Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook)
2 tbsp grapeseed oil
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp vinegar
1/2 tbsp water
1 egg
1 1/4 c almond flour
1/2 scant tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda

1. Whisk together oil, honey, vinegar, egg and water.
2. Add almond flour, salt and soda. Mix well.
3. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop batter onto pan. Slightly flatten with palm of hand.
4. Bake at 350 for 15 min or until edges start to turn light brown.

Yield: 6

My mom is coming to visit for my birthday at the end of this month. Can't wait to make these for her!

1 comment:

  1. April, they look yummy! I'm proud of my little paleo-lovin' daughter! Can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete