06 February 2010

Almond Chicken

Another staple in the Hanlin household. Also a favorite of Unit.

1-2 cups almond flour
seasoning of choice (sometimes I use seasoned salt or cajun)
1-2 lbs of chicken breasts, cut into long strips
1 egg
olive oil

First set up your stations.
Station 1: raw chicken
Station 2: bowl with beaten egg
Station 3: plate with almond flour with seasonings mixed in
Station 4: Skillet with 1/4 inch of oil coating bottom. Use medium or medium low heat. (Be sure oil is heated before you start cooking the chicken.)

Dip chicken in egg. Transfer to plate with almond flour and coat evenly. Shake off excess flour and place in skillet. Cook 5-9 minutes per side. The almond flour should take on a nice golden brown color when done.

One of the keys to this is to not use overly large, thick pieces of chicken. The outside will get done before the inside of the chicken is cooked through.

2 comments:

  1. April,
    I haven't commented in a while but Sarah and I are enjoying your recipes. She made this last night and it turned out wonderfully; I think she made it as rxed except subbed coconut oil for olive. (How's that for applying crossfit speech to cooking?)

    I also ordered some bulk almond butter from that site you posted a couple of weeks ago and I would have to agree with Rory, it goes on everything...carrots, dates, shakes, apples. Great find!

    Finally, the breakfast hash has become a staple of mine. I sub sweet potatoes for butternut squash b/c of availability but I've tried it both ways, either way is good. My only failure so far is that I didn't have good luck with the pancakes; they wouldn't hold together for me. Maybe it was b/c I had to use half peanut butter at the time. No big loss as I poured the mix in a bread pan and baked a delicious banana bread.

    Anyway, thanks for the great ideas! - Paul [depaul]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback!

    Olive oil has been a staple in my kitchen for so long that I'm only now beginning to try different oils. I'll give the coconut oil a shot... it sounds great!

    I'll give the pancakes a go again just to see how they do for me, since I only made them that one time. Other pancake recipes I've tried haven't held together well either. Make sure to keep the pancakes small, I know that helps!

    ReplyDelete