18 June 2010

Roasted Vegetables

Roasting is one of my favorite ways to prepare vegetables. There is something very comforting to me about them. Yes, roasting is usually thought of as more of a winter thing, but I enjoy it year round. Traditional roasting involves using a higher temperature and shorter durations, I actually prefer the opposite... I like lower temps and longer times. To me this yields a more tender bite with more caramelizing. Mmmm...

Picking out your vegetables is the fun part. In the winter, we use a lot of squash because it is in season. In the summer I go for asparagus or brussel sprouts. (Thanks Roxie! I've never done roasted brussel sprouts until your recent post!) Use a variety of oils as well (olive oil, grapeseed oil, coconut oil).



I'm not going to post an exact recipe but just some ideas to try.

Brussel sprouts and garlic
Asparagus and rosemary, thyme, and sea salt
Cajun cauliflower
Curried squash (Rory HATES curry... much to my dismay)
sweet potatoes with cinnamon and coconut oil


2 comments:

  1. Love this post April! I have been such a slouch with my paleo blog, but you just re-inspired me to get back to it. Here is the link to the roasted brussel sprouts recipe if anyone is interested, http://www.crossfitcadence.com/paleo-journal/2010/4/4/brussel-sprouts-you-either-love-them-or-hate-them.html

    Right now I am obsessed with cauliflower and last week I tried your cauliflower, tomatoes, and capers recipe. It was so amazing that I have made it 2 times since. On one occasion I grilled some chicken and mixed it in to make for a really nice and complete meal. Any suggestions on roasting time and temperatures for cauliflower?
    Thanks again April, I love your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to do 350-375 for at least 60 minutes, stirring a few times during cooking. My absolute favorite is when is gets some nice color to it.

    ReplyDelete